Best Places in Edmonton to Feed Chickadees
There’s something that’s simply magically about feeding birds by hand! Edmonton Playgrounds shares the best places in Edmonton to feed chickadees by hand! (Bonus: a lot of these are our favourite trails to explore in Edmonton too!)
*SHERWOOD PARK NATURAL AREA
This is our favourite spot for successful bird feeding. The Sherwood Park Natural Area is a 2.7km loop trail that also works well as an out-and-back. If you’re visiting in summer, don’t forget the mosquito spray! There is an outhouse located at the head of the trail.
- WHERE: 52118 Clover Bar Road (Range Road 231), Sherwood Park MORE INFO HERE
- BONUS POINTS FOR: The hill that ices into an awesome bum slide in winter!
- PAIR IT WITH A PLAYGROUND: Yohemas Park sits on the South end of Sherwood Park and is packed with ropes and cool climbers!
One of the prettiest nature walks in Edmonton. Bird watchers flock here (pardon the pun!) for more than just the chickadees – the Whitemud Creek area has been known to be home to nesting owls too!
- WHERE: Park at Snow Valley, 13204 Rainbow Valley Road. Follow the trails past the campground to the north, or go under the Rainbow Valley Bridge and follow the trials south. MORE INFO HERE
- BONUS POINTS FOR: Wide trails, easy terrain, and lots of “secret” spots to explore and play.
- PAIR IT WITH A PLAYGROUND: Aspen Gardens Park is a classic wooden playground just south of the entrance to Rainbow Valley.
*CLIFFORD E LEE NATURE SANCTUARY
A vast and beautiful nature area with forests, marshes and meadows.
- WHERE: Sanctuary Road, Spruce Grove MORE INFO HERE
- BONUS POINTS FOR: A beautiful series of boardwalks!
- PAIR IT WITH A PLAYGROUND: We love the incredible rope dome at Holy Spirit School in Devon!
*LOIS HOLE CENTENNIAL PROVINCIAL PARK
A gorgeous natural area with a variety of trails to explore, including the aptly named “Chickadee Trail”!
- WHERE: Park at 1 Ray Gibbon Drive, St. Albert MORE INFO HERE
- BONUS POINTS FOR: The John E Poole Wetlands Boardwalk and Big Lake Viewing Platform!
- PAIR IT WITH A PLAYGROUND: Check out the super slides and awesome music area at St. Albert’s Riverside Playground.
What locations would you add to our list?